Sell now? Or wait for the Spring and summer months that everyone seems to believe is the golden opportunity? Based on my experience and the numbers that the market is currently producing, selling at either time can produce similar results. I find that it is important to guide clients to the time of year that is best for them and their families.
Reasons to list NOW!!
- Shining Star Power: There is an opportunity to be a shining star without the perfection that the spring market can sometimes require. Often, less bells and whistles may be needed to become a buyer’s #1 choice. If you’ve got a fabulous kitchen but are lacking in the master bath department, now may be the time to get your home on the market.
- More SERIOUS showings: Getting your home in show condition and available to buyers to view is very important. At this time of year, buyers are typically more serious and ready to buy, so you’ve got less looky loo buyers scheduling showings!
- Less late weeknight showings: Buyers do not wish to view homes after it gets dark, which is around 5:00 pm this time of year, so you often have less showings on hectic school nights.
- Less teenager & child herding for weekday showings: If you’ve got teenagers, you can worry less about getting them up and out of bed for showings, like you would in the summer time while you’re working. This time of year, they are already out of the house and in school.
- Less competition: The inventory of homes for sale in so many parts of Kansas City is extremely low. Buyers have less to choose from and thus the chances of selling your house are higher.
- No weeding the landscaping beds: Many believe that the brown grass and bare trees is a negative, but that is not always the case. You can set out pictures of your beautiful flower beds and feature cards pointing out the privacy the trees provide to the back deck when they are filled out in the summer. This is a great way to market them without having to keep them perfect for live inspection.
- Relocating buyers: There are a number of out-of-town buyers that are out searching for homes right now due to being relocated.
- Listing now may mean selling in the beginning of the Spring market: Most of my clients need at least 2 weeks to prepare their home for the market, and then it may take 30 days or slightly more to find the perfect buyer. Often, that buyer will be financing the purchase and will require at least another 30 days to close the loan. If you spread these days out across the calendar, listing now would most likely have you closing and ready to purchase your new home in the beginning of the heat of the spring market.
- Use your summer to enjoy your home and family: Summer is one of my favorite times of year! Why not spend it enjoying your family rather than stressing about keeping a home in show perfection?
- Interest Rates are low! Rates are low now and there is never a guarantee that they will stay that low. 🙂
If now is not the time, here is a recap of ways to start preparing your home for the market:
The first important step: Contact a real estate agent and begin building a relationship.
- A plan & schedule: They can help develop a plan & schedule for getting you prepared for a sale or purchase, incorporating important dates for you and your family and helping reduce the stress of preparing your home.
- Tentative spot on the calendar: You can also get tentative time on their calendar. In addition to the time and effort you spend preparing your home, your agent will need time to prepare the marketing and logistical items of getting your home on the market. If you give them advance notice, this can make the initial week on the market easier on all parties involved.
- Some examples of some of your realtor’s prep work: MLS listing, flyers, websites, showing instructions, open house and agent tour accommodations
- Market value of your home: You can begin understanding your home’s market and how your home falls into it. Plus, agents can typically set you up with tools to continue to monitor your home’s market for the months to come prior to you listing your home.
- Pocket listing: In our industry, we have pocket listing. These are homes that as agents we know the sellers are interested in selling, but they may not actually be on the market at that time. I get emails constantly when agents have shown every house in the $325-450,000 price range in an area and nothing is fitting.
- Contractor and lender recommendations: An agent can help you get in contact with the best contractors to help with those little projects that are beyond your toolbelt skills. They can also lead you to the best lenders for you to contact.
The second, but equally important step: Contact a lender.
- Determining your new purchase price: This means understanding what you qualify for, but more importantly, feel comfortable purchasing. You can start planning for down payment funds and other purchases that may need to take place before and after a move.
- Best credit score: Bruce and the Credit Guys help speak with us a ton about this. There are times that you have negative marks on your credit that may be a mistake or easy to repair. Getting these items corrected before you are ready to buy can improve your interest rate and other terms, and ultimately save you lots of money.
If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me, via my contact page, by email at e@eSADY.com or at 816-200-SADY (816-200-7239).